Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Fiberglass/Wood/Gelcoat Repair' started by Thornton69, Apr 23, 2019.
Winter is settling in up here and the project is having to go on hold for a bit. Temps just haven't been cooperating with me. Mounts, bulkhead and fuel tank compartment are glassed in. Pour in floatation is next, another layer of glass on main engine bed stringers and then the lower deck. Will still have to glass in some pads and supports for the upper deck before fuel tank, drive and engine can be fitted back in.
FYI... I worked on my Grady over the Winter by building a big roof over the boat - using the gunwales as support. Then shrink wrapped the whole thing. Basically, I had a big tent. I put a big door in the wrap to get in and out easily, hung a couple 4' shop lights under the "roof" and had a small, portable (oil filled) heater. I could work in there, regardless of outside temp.
Thanks guys. Will definitely set something set up and get back on it as soon as I am mobile enough. Going in to get a (L5-S1) fusion done on my back later this week. Sounding like it will be several months before I will be able to start working it again.
Well, OK, I guess that's a good enough excuse to stop working on the boat
Hope you your recovery is a quick one!
Have got most of my mobility back and the weather is improving. Time to get this project rolling again. Temporally wrapped the hull with insolated tarps and put some additional heat under it. Poured the 2 part floatation and reinstalled the plugs that were removed. Ended up with 7 different voids to fill. Have some final prep to do before carrying on with the glassing. The lower deck is pretty solid. Do you guys think a single sheet of 1708 will be enough for the top of it?
On the plywood decking? Yes.
Believe I have this "little project" behind me now. Can confidently say "I would not wish a job like this on anyone" and "I did it once".
Glassed the top of the lower decks. Added a couple blocks on top of that to anchor the top deck supports to. Gave it all the first coat of Bilgekote. Temporarily installed the transom/gimbal assembly (with new bearing) along with the engine. Aligned the drive coupler to the gimbal bearing and drilled out the motor mount pilot holes at the center of their side to side adjustment. Removed everything, and opened up the holes up to 1/2". Planning to seal the exposed wood in the hole with resin and clamping the mounts with 3/8 through bolts.
Now I can go back to the gimbal assembly rebuild, which is where this all started, after finding some loose lag bolts on the motor mounts.
looks fantastic. Awesome job, what an undertaking
Looks really nice. Did a big project like that once and never again.
Thanks! I will second that.
Planning to splash it for the upcoming season on our May long weekend. Have a solid foundation now to work with. Next will be the cabin upgrades and to better the power in front of it's B2.