Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaneCorso, Jan 13, 2018.
X 10..... Holding cost + depreciation + uncertainties = SALE
My wife and I stored our 320 in VA for two years while we were stationed in California. Maybe our experience can help you with your decision:
1. Had a cash offer for the boat before we moved, wish I'd taken it.
2. We stored her on land, had her shrink wrapped, and winterized with about 25 gallons of stabilized fuel in each tank.
3. The cockpit vinyl and deck were heavily mildewed due to humidity over the summers. The fiberglass cleaned up, the vinyl still is stained and I may paint or replace next season.
4. We had a zipper door in the shrinkwrap so a friend could check on the boat for us, it blew out several times during windstorms causing debris and water to get into the cockpit.
5. Everytme the was a snow or ice storm we got nervous. Heavy snow and ice would knock down the support beams in the shrinkwrap, thankfully our friend didn't mind checking on the boat often
6. Several small items were pilfered from the cockpit (a latch, faucet handle, boat hook). I suspect kids playing on the boats during the offseason. BTW,our boat was stored on a military base marina.
7. When we returned and started using the boat again a few problems cropped up. The most expensive of which were the generator fuel pump immediately broke and the starboard engine fuel pump went shortly after. We also had several thru-hull fittings clogged with bug nests that took some time to find and remove
Several experts here have provided recommendations on ways to prevent all of the above and I would certainly take anything they recommend under advice. However, problems inevitably arrive when mechanical things sit idle so keep that in mind as well.
In retrospect, we should have sold her (even though we love the boat) and put all the money we spent on insurance, dry storage, and repairs into a newer or bigger boat when we returned.
I understand an emotional tie to a vessel and if you are going to keep her then I would recommend you seek out indoor storage if available. I think it would be worth the extra cost in protection and piece of mind while you are overseas. Also, pad the savings account and be prepared for unexpected repairs when you return.
Best of luck with your personal decision and stay safe overseas.
Just got back from a week of Korea so sorry for the late response... but thank you all, it’s a lot to consider. Logic in me says sell it; emotions are saying keep it!
Lots of good advice, thanks again!