Bravo 3 Trim stopped Working

Discussion in 'General Maintenance/Repair Questions' started by Farmflyer, Oct 16, 2014.

  1. Farmflyer

    Farmflyer New Member

    9
    May 5, 2014
    New Buffalo, MI
    2007 Sundeck 260 IST
    496 Mercruiser w/Bravo III
    Hi. I have a 2007 Sundeck 260 with 8.1L and Bravo 3. The boat ran great all summer. I ran the boat for an hour and pulled the boat out on my trailer 2 weeks ago. I then, unscrewed the drain plug, and let 2-3 gallons of bilge water run out on the boat ramp. I was preparing to drain the outdrive oil while it was still warm. I placed the lube reservoir on it's side, and clamped the hose, as I have done in the past. I then went to lower the sterndrive, using the DTS trim switches, and got no sound or movement. I was getting a blinking monitor light that said battery. My 2 batteries are fully charged and new. All of the other electronics were working fine. Blower, radio, etc. My boat storage mechanic found the engine code-reading plug dangling in the bilge area and thinks it might have got wet while I was draining water out of the bilge plug on the boat ramp. Is there a fuse or circuit breaker I may have blown or tripped, and where would it be? They cannot winterize my boat until the trim issue is solved. Thanks for any advice or help. Mike
     
  2. k-nutz

    k-nutz Member

    173
    Jul 8, 2014
    Stafford, VA
    2000 SunDancer 240
    2013 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali 6.6 Duramax
    5.7 MERC w/BRAVO III
    does your trailer button work? My trim button on the throttle quit working but the trailer button works just fine. turns out this is common and you need to replace the trim limit switch. They will replace the trim limit switch and the trim sender unit at the same time since they come as a package item. mechanic is charging me 250 for the install 109 for the parts.
     
  3. BryanOnTheBay

    BryanOnTheBay Member

    540
    Oct 6, 2013
    Edgewater, MD
    "Havana Crush" - 1998 270 Sundancer
    7.4L Mercruiser MPI Bravo III Outdrive
    Also, there are two mercruiser solenoid at the pump switch that can go bad. Also, you need to check the connections as those can corrode. And, don't forget, it can be a combination of all of the above. I had a similar issues with mine. I had to replace a solenoid (I replaced both at the same time). I still had issues with raising and lowering the unit. The connections weren't making a good connection until the electronic spray that I sprayed on the connections when replacing them did its thing.

    Lastly, I could show that my switch on the shifter didn't work in the up position (everything verified with a multitester). So, to raise the unit, I have to use the trailer switch. The up problem could also be due to a trim limit issue, and that is on the list for the next major service of the outdrive. I wish I had thought to have them replaced this spring, when the outdrive was off. Such is life with a boat.

    Bryan
     

Share This Page

Show Sidebar