Bellows Adhesive

Discussion in 'General Maintenance/Repair Questions' started by Loyd Dinneen, Apr 3, 2018.

  1. Loyd Dinneen

    Loyd Dinneen Active Member

    394
    Jul 29, 2017
    Las Vegas
    1977 Sea ray 240 SDA cruiser w/ twin 470 mercs.
    Twin 470 Mercruisers
    I am just getting ready to install the new bellows on the second outdrive I have had to fix because of a previous bad installation and I was wondering if anyone out there have an easy way to apply the adhesive to the flange and bellows where it doesn't dry up before the bellows are installed. It is really a messy job to do. I have used my finger tried a small acid brush and this time a popsicle stick. Any other ideas out there the internet doesnt show applying the stuff just the bellow installed.
     
  2. scoflaw

    scoflaw Well-Known Member

    Aug 10, 2011
    cape cod mass, cape coral fl
    1999 Powerquest legend 260 sx
    502 mpi Bravo 1
    I have better luck installing the bellows dry. If you noticed, none is used on the original install. I've had bellows slip off when using the adhesive.
     
  3. NorCal Boater

    NorCal Boater Well-Known Member SILVER Sponsor

    Jan 24, 2008
    Covington, LA
    Cobalt CM23
    GM SB 383" Stroker" Alpha Gen I
    I've used it and not used it with no real difference. Most recently, I've been using it. It is messy and there is no real easy way. I just get it on the best way I can.

    Shawn
     
  4. Loyd Dinneen

    Loyd Dinneen Active Member

    394
    Jul 29, 2017
    Las Vegas
    1977 Sea ray 240 SDA cruiser w/ twin 470 mercs.
    Twin 470 Mercruisers
    In this case I have to use the adhesive because it looks as though the u-joints may have blown at one time because the gimbel case flange is bent and has a crack in it and the adhesive will help seal the area. Who ever did work on this last time didnt replace the gimbel bearing when they put in the bellows and it was in bad shape. It also looked like the u-joints had been full of water at one time and not greased to push out the old grease the bellows was full of the old grease a real mess. Oh well when I picked up this 77 240 weekender I figured I would have to do some fixing up just not this much.
     
  5. Air O'Nautical

    Air O'Nautical Active Member

    Feb 5, 2008
    Stamford CT "Ponus Yacht Club"
    1995 400EC. Raymarine E80,4kw dome, Garmin 235 gps,
    2013 7.4L Mercruiser Blue water.
    Hurth straight shaft 630's,
    Westerbeke 7.0 BCG
    I’m no expert here but, believe what I’ve been told in the past.

    The adhesive on the driveshaft Bellows is the most important part of this application.
    The single hose clamp on each end really just holds it place to ensure complete contact and adhesion of the glue.

    If your bellows comes off in the water your boat will likely sink.
     
  6. SloBurn

    SloBurn Member

    808
    May 30, 2013
    Greenwood Lake, NY
    1994 270 Sundancer. 7.4L Merc. Tow with a 2006 Dodge RAM Hemi
    340 HP Merc 454 c.i.
    I've done this more than once, used my fingers to apply adhesive. Messy, but I can feel how smooth mounting surface is when I do it this way.
     
  7. Loyd Dinneen

    Loyd Dinneen Active Member

    394
    Jul 29, 2017
    Las Vegas
    1977 Sea ray 240 SDA cruiser w/ twin 470 mercs.
    Twin 470 Mercruisers
    Well I got the the bellows on (took me all day the u-joint bellows fought me tooth and nail) had to make a special tool to hold the u-joint bellows in place while I tightened the clamp which was a bear to get to no matter where I positioned it. The exhaust bellow went right on with my homemade tool and clamped right down. I have to inspect the shift cable bellows before installing the outdrive as I though I saw a small pin hole in it, it is a pain to replace but now is the time with everything open. Oh also I used the popsicle stick and it worked pretty good on the bulkhead side but more difficult on the outside ended up using my fingers.
    For some reason it was easier on the port outdrive perhaps I was more precise because I didn't know exactly what to do and followed the online instructions closer, where the clamp was set and having the right screw driver flex extension tool was very important(couldn't find the tool for second install, found it after I was done of course). Next time I will take it to a merc mechanic no matter what the cost is.
     

Share This Page

Show Sidebar